Countries rush aid to El Salvador, as flood toll rises to 157
San Salvador: Relief materials from different countries and aid organisations have begun to arrive for the flood affected people in El Salvador, as the toll has risen to 157 following a devastating storm last weekend.
Officials said 58 people are still missing days after Hurricane Ida hit the country.
Thousands of people have also been displaced in floods and mudslides caused by the storm.
"Various governments, through their ambassadors, and in some other cases directly ... have called me to express to us their solidarity and, at the same time, to respond in an immediate manner to the demands this emergency creates," President Mauricio Funes has said.
"I`m taking this moment to express my acknowledgment of the solidarity," he told a gathering on Wednesday.
Torrential rains continued in five of El Salvador`s 14 provinces since Hurricane Ida made landfall last weekend.
Donations have arrived from the US, Japan, Nicaragua and Venezuela, as well as from the UNICEF and Red Cross. The relief items are being distributed at 132 emergency shelters where more than 14,000 flood affected people are housed.
Spanish aid agency AECID said an aircraft carrying relief material has already arrived here from Panama.
Venezuela`s Ambassador to El Salvador, Vladimir Tirado, told EFE that Caracas has sent a cargo plane with 20 tonnes of food, water, medicine, blankets and construction materials.
The US has also flown in 60 tonnes of water, personal hygiene kits and other items. It has also provided five military helicopters to help distribute the goods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?