close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Court bars UK teen with brothers in Syria from travelling

A High Court judge on Tuesday barred a 16-year-old boy from leaving Britain amid concerns that he might follow his three brothers in joining al Qaeda-linked fighters in Syria.



London: A High Court judge on Tuesday barred a 16-year-old boy from leaving Britain amid concerns that he might follow his three brothers in joining al Qaeda-linked fighters in Syria.

In an extraordinary move, Judge Anthony Hayden made the teenager a ward of court following a request by the boy's local authority, saying he wanted to "keep this lad alive".

The court heard that two of the boy's teenaged brothers had been killed while fighting with Qaeda's Syrian affiliate, Al-Nusra Front, and a third had been injured.

Describing the family's "extraordinary history", Martin Downs, the lawyer for the local authority, said one of the boy's friends had also been killed in Syria, while his uncle is a former Guantanamo Bay detainee.

The case was brought before the High Court after local authority staff learned that the boy's relatives were planning to take him on a trip to Dubai next month.

The judge described the boy, who has joint Libyan and British nationality, as "a vulnerable young person" and said the local authority was concerned that he "may wish to follow the path which his brothers have walked".

"He has grown up in modern Britain in an extraordinary family -- a family where the male members are patently committed to waging jihad in war-torn Syria," Hayden said.

The boy is currently living with his mother, who the judge said was "exhausted with grief", and there were concerns that she was unable to properly discipline him.

In making the teenager a ward of court, effectively taking away the legal power of his parents, the judge confirmed that he could not now be taken out of England and Wales without judicial permission.

Addressing the issue of the teenager's human rights, the judge concluded: "The balance falls clearly in protecting this young man, ultimately from himself."

He ruled that the boy could be named, although he allowed the local authority to be named as Brighton city council, on England's southern coast.

An estimated 700 Britons are believed to have gone to Syria since the conflict there began, including young men hoping to fight with militant groups or women intending to marry jihadists.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi