Court fines woman in Berlusconi `bunga bunga` case
Milan: A Milan court fined a Moroccan woman at the centre of Silvio Berlusconi`s sex-for-hire scandal USD 650 Monday for failing to appear as a witness twice at the former premier`s trial.
It ordered her to testify in January.
Karima el-Mahroug, also known as Ruby, is the last witness to be called in the sensational trial that accuses Berlusconi of having paid for sex with el-Mahroug when she was 17, and then trying to cover it up. Both deny having had sex.
The court ordered el-Mahroug, who is in Mexico on vacation, to testify on January 14, confirming the necessity of her testimony.
Prosecutors have accused the defence, which called el-Mahroug as a witness, of engaging in a strategy to delay a verdict which has included calling witnesses who have failed to show. Italian law does not carry particularly strict penalties against witnesses who fail to appear, and in some cases the court may decide their participation is not essential.
Prosecutors are scheduled to give their closing arguments on January 28, followed by the defence on February 4.
That leaves room for the verdict to be delivered in February, just as Italy is headed toward a national election. The 76-year-old Berlusconi has flirted with running again, but most recently has said he would step aside if Premier Mario Monti, who runs a technical government that replaced Berlusconi`s, decides to run as a moderate.
In a weekend interview, Berlusconi apologised for his now-infamous "bunga bunga" parties, saying he was lonely after having split from his second wife. Veronica Laria left him in 2008, citing alleged dalliances with young women.
"I need to apologise. It was a period when I was feeling alone. I was divorced, my mother was dead, my sister, too, my children were travelling around the world, and someone said to distract myself with some evenings," Berlusconi said.
He also revealed he is engaged to a woman almost 50 years his junior, and says that "finally I feel less alone."
The media baron said yesterday his engagement to 28-year-old Francesca Pascale who is part of a support group called "Silvio, we miss you" is "official."
Newspapers described Berlusconi`s appearance on Canale 5 one of his television networks as an attempt to boost falling approval rates ahead of an election expected in February. No date for the vote has been set yet.
His centre-right party, which has dominated Italian politics for the last two decades, is showing a 15 percent approval rating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation