Court plans live broadcast of Khmer Rouge verdict
Phnom Penh: The verdict in the trial of Khmer
Rouge prison chief Duch will be broadcast live across Cambodia
when it is delivered later this month, the UN-backed court
said on Thursday.
Duch is the first leader from the hardline communist
regime to face international justice and observers have
stressed the need for proceedings to be open to ordinary
Cambodians, many of whom lived through the brutal rule.
During his trial the 67-year-old, whose real name is
Kaing Guek Eav, acknowledged responsibility and begged
forgiveness for overseeing the torture and execution of more
than 15,000 people at the notorious Tuol Sleng prison.
Tribunal spokesman Reach Sambath said the broadcast would
help to "stop the return of mass killing" in Cambodia.
He said millions of people from across the country are
expected to tune in to major television and radio stations for
the verdict on July 26.
"The live broadcast will offer great opportunities for
millions of Cambodians who were the victims of the Khmer Rouge
regime to be involved in the process of justice," he said.
"The information of the judgement will offer a public
debate toward justice and national reconciliation."
The hearing is expected to last for several hours.
Up to two million people were executed or died of
starvation, disease and overwork as the 1975-1979 Khmer Rouge
movement emptied cities and enslaved the population on
collective farms in its bid to create a communist utopia.
Duch, whose trial began last February, is charged with
crimes against humanity, war crimes, torture and premeditated
Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot died in 1998. The joint trial
of four more senior regime leaders is expected to start in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?