`Coward` Assad must quit, says former ally
Damascus: Syria`s Bashar al-Assad was branded a coward by his onetime friend and ally, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who urged him to quit or face a bloody death like other dictators.
The opposition Syrian National Council said, meanwhile, that it is already pressing ahead with plans for a conference together with the Arab League to prepare for a "transitional
period" after the fall of Assad`s regime.
Assad is under mounting pressure from Syria`s neighbours to step down over his regime`s eight-month crackdown on protests that the United Nations says has killed more than 3,500 people.
Security forces killed 12 people today, including four boys in the flashpoint central province of Homs, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The boys -- aged 10, 11, 13 and 15 – were "indiscriminately" gunned down in the Hula area, it said in a statement.
Three other people, including a mentally ill man, were killed in Homs city, two more, including a deserter, were killed elsewhere in the province, and three brothers were killed in Idlib in the northwest, it said.
In his fiercest criticism yet of his former personal friend, Erdogan called on Assad to "quit power before more blood is shed... for the peace of your people, your region and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why