`Coward` Assad must quit, says former ally
Damascus: Syria`s Bashar al-Assad was branded a coward by his onetime friend and ally, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who urged him to quit or face a bloody death like other dictators.
The opposition Syrian National Council said, meanwhile, that it is already pressing ahead with plans for a conference together with the Arab League to prepare for a "transitional
period" after the fall of Assad`s regime.
Assad is under mounting pressure from Syria`s neighbours to step down over his regime`s eight-month crackdown on protests that the United Nations says has killed more than 3,500 people.
Security forces killed 12 people today, including four boys in the flashpoint central province of Homs, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The boys -- aged 10, 11, 13 and 15 – were "indiscriminately" gunned down in the Hula area, it said in a statement.
Three other people, including a mentally ill man, were killed in Homs city, two more, including a deserter, were killed elsewhere in the province, and three brothers were killed in Idlib in the northwest, it said.
In his fiercest criticism yet of his former personal friend, Erdogan called on Assad to "quit power before more blood is shed... for the peace of your people, your region and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo