Crash kills Pak-American teen pilot attempting world record
New York: A 17-year-old Pakistani-origin boy, attempting to set a world record for an around-the-globe flight has died in a tragic crash over the Pacific Ocean while efforts are on to locate his father.
Haris Suleman was piloting a single-engine aircraft under the watchful eye of his father Babar Suleman to try to set a world record and raise money to build schools in Pakistan.
Their Beechcraft A36 Bonanza aircraft crashed on Tuesday, just 20 minutes after taking off from American Samoa island en route to Hawaii, Haris` sister, 26-year-old Hiba Suleman, said last night.
"They were together and doing what they loved," she said.
The Sulemans left Greenwood, Indiana on June 19. Haris was hoping to complete the trip in 30 days to set the record for the fastest circumnavigation around the world in a single -engine airplane by the youngest pilot.
The family was notified of the crash by the US Coast Guard, Hiba said. At that point, the Coast Guard had searched about six hours, found Haris but was still looking for her father, she was quoted as saying by Indianapolis Star newspaper.
They were about 37 kilometres off the coast of American Samoa when radar indicated the plane had gone down, she said.
"It is a tragedy of immense proportions," Khan said. "We are all still hopeful that we will have Babar come back."
The duo were expected to return to Indiana on Saturday. Their stops included the UK, Egypt and Pakistan.
The US National Transportation Safety Board said that officials were investigating the accident. The cause of the crash is not yet known, the report said.
But Khan said the plane`s "black box" was pinging, allowing searchers to home in on it.
The Sulemans have raised more than USD 500,000 for The Citizens Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India