`Credible terror threat against US`
Washington: US President Barack Obama has
said there is "credible terrorist threat" against America
after two suspicious packages, containing explosives material,
were found in cargo jets originating in Yemen with two Jewish
centers in Chicago-area being their destinations.
There has been a "credible terrorist threat against
our country" Obama told reporters at a hurriedly convened
White House press conference after he was briefed by his top
intelligence officials and national security aid on the latest
terrorist threat to the US.
Obama was first informed about it at about 10-35 pm on
Thursday and has been updated on the developing plot
The Administration will not spare any efforts in
investigating the origins of the suspicious package, he said.
Obama said agencies have "identified two suspicious
packages bound for the United States, specifically, two places
of Jewish worship in Chicago."
The packages were identified in Dubai and Britain, he
"Initial examination of those packages has determined
that they do apparently contain explosive material," he said.
In his statement, Obama vows to take "whatever steps
are necessary to protect our citizens of this type of attack,"
and he announces that there will be "additional screening" of
some planes in Newark and Philadelphia.
More "protective measures" will be taken for "as long
as it takes," he said.
Noting that Americans should know that authorities are
"taking this threat very seriously," Obama said the American
people should be confident we are not wavering in our resolve
...to root out violent extremism in all its forms.
The two packages have been identified and have been
isolated, said the National Security Advisor Tom Donilon. Both
the packages originated in Yemen.
"There were explosive materials in both the packages,
which was intended and designed to do harm," he said, but said
that the analysis of the explosives found is going on.
The US looking at all possibilities on who could be
behind the terrorist attack.
Obama said the events of the last 24 hours underscore
the necessity of remaining vigilant in the last 24 hours,
coordinating with the friends and the allies.
Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and
Counterterrorism John Brennan said packages coming from Yemen
would be carefully screened. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said
counterterrorism adviser John Brennan spoke with the Yemen`s
president today morning.
"This is an active and ongoing investigation; we?re
working very closely with our partners in Yemen," Brennen
"As we continue with this investigation, we are trying
to understand who is behind it, and trying to understand the
scope of the threat," he said.
"We are trying to make sure we understand any other
threats that are out there. Making sure we are taking a close
look at other packages that might have other materials in
He says "only two packages" have explosives in them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what