Bogota: Colombian prosecutors closed a criminal investigation on Friday into Bogota`s mayor, who was temporarily removed from office last year following a months-long battle in court.
Gustavo Petro, a former leader of the now defunct M-19 guerrilla group, was elected to serve as mayor of Bogota, home to seven million people, from 2012 to 2016.
But he was sacked in December by Colombia`s inspector general, who said Petro had abused his powers by eliminating private garbage collection contracts to replace them with a city-run service.
In the midst of the convoluted political saga, President Juan Manuel Santos then reinstated Petro in April, following a request by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
"The closing of the criminal investigation against me is a triumph for all of Bogota. For a democratic and progressive Bogota," Petro said on Twitter.
Petro, himself a former guerrilla, had argued that his removal from office would undermine confidence in peace talks currently under way between the Colombian government and leftist FARC rebels.
The controversy over Petro`s sacking ignited numerous protests in Bogota in support of the 54-year-old economist.