Criminal probe sought against Indo-Canadian politician
Toronto: A criminal investigation has been sought against an Indo-Canadian member of legislative assembly (MLA) of the ruling Progressive Conservatives party in the Canadian province of Alberta in a case of ethics violation.
Leader of the opposition Wildrose party, Danielle Smith, has requested the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to conduct a criminal investigation into the actions of Edmonton-Manning MLA Peter Sandhu following reports that he owned a home-building company that was being pursued by creditors for not paying debts, CBC reported Friday.
According to Smith, Sandhu should be charged with perjury as he had lied in court by saying that he was out of Canada when, in fact, he was present in Calgary.
“With the significant discrepancies between evidence in the courts and the legislative assembly Office, we believe it is of utmost importance to ensure that this matter is investigated thoroughly - to not only maintain the integrity of our legislative process, but to ensure the confidence of Albertans,” the report quoted Smith as saying in a statement.
Sandhu, who earlier this week resigned from the Conservative caucus following the allegations, is also being investigated by Alberta`s ethic commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!