Criminal probe sought against Indo-Canadian politician
Toronto: A criminal investigation has been sought against an Indo-Canadian member of legislative assembly (MLA) of the ruling Progressive Conservatives party in the Canadian province of Alberta in a case of ethics violation.
Leader of the opposition Wildrose party, Danielle Smith, has requested the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to conduct a criminal investigation into the actions of Edmonton-Manning MLA Peter Sandhu following reports that he owned a home-building company that was being pursued by creditors for not paying debts, CBC reported Friday.
According to Smith, Sandhu should be charged with perjury as he had lied in court by saying that he was out of Canada when, in fact, he was present in Calgary.
“With the significant discrepancies between evidence in the courts and the legislative assembly Office, we believe it is of utmost importance to ensure that this matter is investigated thoroughly - to not only maintain the integrity of our legislative process, but to ensure the confidence of Albertans,” the report quoted Smith as saying in a statement.
Sandhu, who earlier this week resigned from the Conservative caucus following the allegations, is also being investigated by Alberta`s ethic commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!