Criminal probe sought against Indo-Canadian politician
Toronto: A criminal investigation has been sought against an Indo-Canadian member of legislative assembly (MLA) of the ruling Progressive Conservatives party in the Canadian province of Alberta in a case of ethics violation.
Leader of the opposition Wildrose party, Danielle Smith, has requested the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to conduct a criminal investigation into the actions of Edmonton-Manning MLA Peter Sandhu following reports that he owned a home-building company that was being pursued by creditors for not paying debts, CBC reported Friday.
According to Smith, Sandhu should be charged with perjury as he had lied in court by saying that he was out of Canada when, in fact, he was present in Calgary.
“With the significant discrepancies between evidence in the courts and the legislative assembly Office, we believe it is of utmost importance to ensure that this matter is investigated thoroughly - to not only maintain the integrity of our legislative process, but to ensure the confidence of Albertans,” the report quoted Smith as saying in a statement.
Sandhu, who earlier this week resigned from the Conservative caucus following the allegations, is also being investigated by Alberta`s ethic commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Delhi Police files three chargesheets on Patiala House Court violence
- Govt aims to make India ''tax paying, not tax evading'' society: Arun Jaitley
- 'Madaari' grosses Rs 4.45 crore worldwide on opening day
- One jawan martyred as Army foils infiltration bid in Kupwara, curfew lifted from parts of Valley
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India