Critically ill Mandela `more alert` every day: Daughter
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela, who has been lying critically ill in hospital for just over two months, is becoming more alert and more responsive by the day, his youngest daughter said, adding that the anti-apartheid hero is "not going anywhere anytime soon".
"Tata, father, now manages to sit up, like now he is able to sit up in a chair for a few minutes in a day. Everyday you know, he becomes more alert, more responsive, and so on," Zindzi Mandela told South Africa public television SABC on Friday.
"Tata is determined not to go anywhere anytime soon, I cannot stress this enough.
"People must stop saying to the family let go, let go, we are just looking at this man who is saying I`m not going anywhere," said Zindzi as she left the Pretoria hospital where her father is being treated.
The former South African president was rushed to the Mediclinic Heart Hospital on June 8 with a recurring lung infection.
His condition is still said to be "critical but stable".
But the last two months have seen a series of scares for the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and for the country where he is considered a living saint.
On June 23 the presidency said his "condition had become critical over the past 24 hours," as President Jacob Zuma cancelled a foreign trip.
Leaked court documents filed by Mandela`s relatives on June 28 had said that he was "assisted in breathing by a life support machine".
But since then friends and family members reported the peace icon`s health was improving, with his former wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela telling Sky News in an interview broadcast Thursday that the 95-year-old was "now breathing normally".
"You know he just doesn`t have the strength of a man, he just has a strength that is beyond anything that can be explained," said Zindzi.
"Because even now with the challenges to his health, he somehow manages to bounce back when everyone assumes this is the end."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks