Croatia supports India`s bid for permanent UNSC membership
Zagreb: Croatia on Thursday extended its full
support to India`s bid for a permanent seat in the UN Security
Council, saying it was logical for the country to have a
prominent role in the world body considering its all-round
development and vibrant democracy.
This was conveyed to Vice President Hamid Ansari, who is
here on a two-day visit, by the Croatian leadership.
"The Speaker of Croatia (Luka Bebic) remarked that as
India is the world`s largest democracy, considering India`s
all-round development and development of its democracy, it is
important for the world to have India as a permanent member of
the UNSC and Croatia supports India`s permanent membership in
the Security Council," Secretary (West) Vivek Katju said,
briefing reporters on the second leg of Ansari`s two-nation
Katju said that Ansari`s meetings with the Speaker today
and President Ivo Josipovic last night were warm and both of
them underlined the importance attached to the visit of the
"The Vice President said that the objective of the visit
is to strengthen cooperation in existing areas and to explore
new areas and to put in place a system to sustain the
cooperation," he said.
There is a great scope to enhance cooperation in sectors
like science and technology, bio-science, physical science,
Information Technology and environmental science.
During his meeting with the President, Ansari exchanged
views on Afghanistan and situation prevailing there besides
giving an account on what India was doing for the
reconstruction of the war-torn nation, which was appreciated
by the host country.
There is a great awareness about what India is doing in
Afghanistan as both Czech Republic and Croatia have
contributed troops to the NATO forces based there.
The Vice President, who arrived here yesterday after his
visit to Czech Republic, sought greater international
cooperation in tackling terrorism, Katju said, adding the two
sides also discussed the Non-Aligned Movement and emphasised
that there was a need to have a better structure in place in
view of existing realities.
Ansari noted that India had undertaken massive
infrastructure projects and welcomed Croatian companies, with
expertise in the field, to participate in its road
Katju said Croatia was an important country for India as
it was the gateway to the Central and Eastern Europe which
India would like to explore, apart from its ports.
He also said that both-way tourism offered greater
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'