Crocodile might be responsible for DRC plane crash: UK probe
London: A plane crash in the Democratic Republic of Congo that left 18 people dead in 2010 may have been caused by a crocodile!
The animal is thought to have climbed out of a hold mid- flight and spooked the crew and passengers.
The passengers panicked and ran towards the cockpit, and the forward shift in weight may have caused the plane to plummet to the ground on August 25, 2010 and crash into a house close to Bandundu airport, according to testimony during an inquest, reported the Times UK.
Only one person survived the crash, as did the crocodile, though it was killed with machetes by rescuers sifting through the plane`s wreckage.
The co-pilot, Chris Wilson, was British. Authorities holding an inquest in the UK on Friday heard that the crocodile might have been the reason for the crash.
The reptile, which measured up to three feet in length, was brought on board in a sports bag so that it could be sold.
Wilson`s father, Rob, said there was a video of the crocodile being taken onto the plane.
"They think it may have frightened the cabin crew member and she ran forward, with the other passengers following. The weight shift caused by the panic may have affected the plane causing it to nose dive or stall," a UK coroner said.
Other considered causes for the crash included engine failure and a fuel shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?