Crowds at Beirut funeral for anti-Syrian official
Beirut: Soldiers on Sunday carried two flag-draped coffins through a central Beirut square packed with thousands of Lebanese mourners who turned out for the funeral of a top intelligence official and his bodyguard.
The men were killed in a massive car bombing that many blame on the regime in neighbouring Syria.
Soldiers set up road blocks and cordoned off Martyrs Square, where the coffins of Brig Gen Wissam al-Hassan and his bodyguard were brought for burial.
"We came for Lebanon`s future to show that we will not be scared," said Arama Fakhouri, an interior designer from Beirut in the cheering crowd.
Many people were shouting that al-Hassan was a martyr who was struck down while trying to protect Lebanon.
Al-Hassan, 47, was a powerful opponent of Syria in Lebanon. He headed an investigation over the summer that led to the arrest of former Information Minister Michel Samaha, a Lebanese politician who was one of Syria`s most loyal allies in Lebanon. He was among eight people killed in the attack on Friday.
"He was killed while he was defending his country," said Samer al-Hirri, who travelled from northern Lebanon to attend the funeral.
Ahead of the burial, there was a memorial ceremony attended by government officials and al-Hassan`s wife Anna, his two sons, Majd and Mazen, and his parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy