Cuba detains Florida men for `terrorist plot`
Cuba: Cuba has arrested four Florida men who they said had come to the communist island plotting "acts of terrorism," the Interior Ministry announced Wednesday.
"The arrestees acknowledge that they planned to attack military installations" and intended to "carry out acts of violence," read the ministry statement published in the state-run Granma newspaper.
The statement said three of the accused made several trips to Cuba beginning in mid-2013 to carry out reconnaissance for their alleged plot.
It said the men have been in custody for 11 days, and identified them as Jose Ortega Amador, Obdulio Rodriguez Gonzalez, Raibel Pacheco Santos and Felix Monzon.
The government said the men are Miami residents with ties to notorious anti-Cuban activist Luis Posada Carriles, a Cuban-American former CIA agent accused of being the mastermind behind the 1976 bombing of a Cuban airliner that killed 73 people.
He also is accused of being the author of a string of bombings decades ago that terrorized Havana, as well as attacks on other leftist governments in Latin America.
Posada Carriles, now 86, has always denied involvement in the attacks, which included a bombing in the Cuban capital that took the life of an Italian tourist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened