Cuba detains Florida men for `terrorist plot`
Cuba: Cuba has arrested four Florida men who they said had come to the communist island plotting "acts of terrorism," the Interior Ministry announced Wednesday.
"The arrestees acknowledge that they planned to attack military installations" and intended to "carry out acts of violence," read the ministry statement published in the state-run Granma newspaper.
The statement said three of the accused made several trips to Cuba beginning in mid-2013 to carry out reconnaissance for their alleged plot.
It said the men have been in custody for 11 days, and identified them as Jose Ortega Amador, Obdulio Rodriguez Gonzalez, Raibel Pacheco Santos and Felix Monzon.
The government said the men are Miami residents with ties to notorious anti-Cuban activist Luis Posada Carriles, a Cuban-American former CIA agent accused of being the mastermind behind the 1976 bombing of a Cuban airliner that killed 73 people.
He also is accused of being the author of a string of bombings decades ago that terrorized Havana, as well as attacks on other leftist governments in Latin America.
Posada Carriles, now 86, has always denied involvement in the attacks, which included a bombing in the Cuban capital that took the life of an Italian tourist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO