Cuba detains US citizen: State Department
Havana: An American citizen has been arrested in Cuba and the US Interests Section in Havana is awaiting permission from Cuban authorities to visit him, a spokeswoman for the US office said.
The official was not at liberty to provide further details of the arrest a week ago, at the individual`s request. But The New York Times late Friday said he was a US government contract worker, without identifying him.
The newspaper said the man worked for a company based in the suburbs of the US capital, Washington, and at the time of his arrest was distributing cell phones, laptops and other communications equipment in Cuba on behalf of the US government.
"We confirm that a US citizen was arrested by the Cuban government. I was informed it happened on December 5," the US Interests Section spokeswoman said.
"We have contacted Cuban authorities to request consular access" to the detainee, she said, adding that they were still waiting for an answer.
The detention and the mysterious circumstances surrounding it threaten to reignite tensions between the countries at a time when both had promised to open new channels of engagement, The Times noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!