Cuba parliament gathers with selection of president on agenda
Havana: Cuba`s parliament is reconvening with new membership and is expected to name Raul Castro to another five-year-term as president.
But all eyes are on whether younger politicians may be tapped for top leadership posts in a sign of who might emerge from the next generation of leadership as a possible successor.
Castro himself fuelled speculation on Friday when he talked of possible retirement and suggested he has plans to resign at some point. It was not clear whether the 81-year-old leader was joking.
After it is sworn-in today, the 612 members of parliament will pick a new National Assembly president for the first time in 20 years, as long-time parliament chief Ricardo Alarcon was not on the ballot this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing