Cuba parliament gathers with selection of president on agenda
Havana: Cuba`s parliament is reconvening with new membership and is expected to name Raul Castro to another five-year-term as president.
But all eyes are on whether younger politicians may be tapped for top leadership posts in a sign of who might emerge from the next generation of leadership as a possible successor.
Castro himself fuelled speculation on Friday when he talked of possible retirement and suggested he has plans to resign at some point. It was not clear whether the 81-year-old leader was joking.
After it is sworn-in today, the 612 members of parliament will pick a new National Assembly president for the first time in 20 years, as long-time parliament chief Ricardo Alarcon was not on the ballot this year.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!
- 1971 Indo-Pak war: 'Dusting was Indira Gandhi's stress-buster'
- House of Representative Speaker Paul Ryan invites PM Modi to address joint meeting of US Congress