Cuba parliament gathers with selection of president on agenda
Havana: Cuba`s parliament is reconvening with new membership and is expected to name Raul Castro to another five-year-term as president.
But all eyes are on whether younger politicians may be tapped for top leadership posts in a sign of who might emerge from the next generation of leadership as a possible successor.
Castro himself fuelled speculation on Friday when he talked of possible retirement and suggested he has plans to resign at some point. It was not clear whether the 81-year-old leader was joking.
After it is sworn-in today, the 612 members of parliament will pick a new National Assembly president for the first time in 20 years, as long-time parliament chief Ricardo Alarcon was not on the ballot this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert