Cuba parliament gathers with selection of president on agenda
Havana: Cuba`s parliament is reconvening with new membership and is expected to name Raul Castro to another five-year-term as president.
But all eyes are on whether younger politicians may be tapped for top leadership posts in a sign of who might emerge from the next generation of leadership as a possible successor.
Castro himself fuelled speculation on Friday when he talked of possible retirement and suggested he has plans to resign at some point. It was not clear whether the 81-year-old leader was joking.
After it is sworn-in today, the 612 members of parliament will pick a new National Assembly president for the first time in 20 years, as long-time parliament chief Ricardo Alarcon was not on the ballot this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP