Cuba reacts with distaste to Nobel prize winners
Havana: Cuba expressed its distaste on Sunday for
the selection of Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo and Peruvian
novelist Mario Vargas Llosa for Nobel prizes, respectively for
peace and literature.
"Let`s hope it`s just one of those ideological broadsides
that the once prestigious Honour has delivered over the course
of its history, and not a new rule," said Cubadebate.cu, a
A better choice than Liu for the Nobel Peace Prize would
have been Bolivian President Evo Morales or the Grandmothers
of the Plaza de Mayo, who waged a decades-long campaign to
account for the fates of relatives kidnapped during
Argentina`s military dictatorship, it said.
There is "no difference at all" between Liu, 54, and "the
type of `dissident` that the United States has been designing
for decades to use ... as fifth columns in those countries
that they disagree with because those countries dissent from
(the US) hegemony," the article said.
China is one of the Cuban government`s closest allies.
Cubadebate also had choice words for Vargas Llosa, 74, who in
his youth sympathised with Fidel Castro but broke with the
regime in 1971 when it jailed dissident poet Heberto Padilla.
The Peruvian author "should have received the award many
years ago, when ... he was more of a writer than a
But this "leftist apostate" is "one of the most
reactionary ideologues of these times," it said.
While Vargas Llosa has never held elected office, he ran
for president of Peru in 1990 as the candidate of a coalition
of right-wing parties but was defeated by Alberto Fujimori.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened