Cuba reviews appeal by US man on death row
Havana: Cuba`s Supreme Court has begun
reviewing the appeal of a Cuban-American who is the last
person remaining on death row in the island nation, state-run
Cubadebate website yesterday said Humberto Eladio
Real, who was convicted of killing a man in a 1994 raid, is
seeking to have the death sentence against him commuted.
On Oct 15, 1994, Real and six other members of a
Florida-based exile group came ashore in northern Cuba, armed
with assault rifles and other weapons. A man was killed, and
the group was captured shortly thereafter.
Real received the death penalty, and the others got
lengthy prison sentences.
Havana officials have said the group intended to carry
out acts of sabotage and attacks on military units to
destabilise the government of then-President Fidel Castro.
Cuba`s constitution allows the death penalty, but for
years the country has effectively had a moratorium on carrying
out death sentences.
Earlier this month, the Supreme Court commuted the
death sentences against two El Salvador men convicted for
their roles in a deadly bombing campaign on tourist sites in
the 1990s. Ernesto Cruz Leon and Otto Rodriguez were given
30-year prison sentences instead, leaving Real as the sole
convict on death row in Cuba.
Cubadebate did not say when a decision in Real`s
appeal was expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'