Cuba reviews appeal by US man on death row

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:41

Havana: Cuba`s Supreme Court has begun
reviewing the appeal of a Cuban-American who is the last
person remaining on death row in the island nation, state-run
media said.

Cubadebate website yesterday said Humberto Eladio
Real, who was convicted of killing a man in a 1994 raid, is
seeking to have the death sentence against him commuted.

On Oct 15, 1994, Real and six other members of a
Florida-based exile group came ashore in northern Cuba, armed
with assault rifles and other weapons. A man was killed, and
the group was captured shortly thereafter.

Real received the death penalty, and the others got
lengthy prison sentences.

Havana officials have said the group intended to carry
out acts of sabotage and attacks on military units to
destabilise the government of then-President Fidel Castro.

Cuba`s constitution allows the death penalty, but for
years the country has effectively had a moratorium on carrying
out death sentences.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court commuted the
death sentences against two El Salvador men convicted for
their roles in a deadly bombing campaign on tourist sites in
the 1990s. Ernesto Cruz Leon and Otto Rodriguez were given
30-year prison sentences instead, leaving Real as the sole
convict on death row in Cuba.

Cubadebate did not say when a decision in Real`s
appeal was expected.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:41

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus