Cuba, Sri Lanka vow to boost cooperation
Havana: Cuban President Raul Castro and visiting President Mahinda Rajapaksa of Sri Lanka have agreed to further strengthen cooperation between their countries.
The two leaders highlighted the good state of the bilateral relationship and expressed common willingness to further promote it, the official NNTV news reported.
Earlier in the day, Rajapaksa, who arrived on Friday for a three-day state visit, laid a wreath to the statue of Cuba`s National Hero Jose Marti at Revolution Square and visited other places of historical and economic interests.
Rajapaksa also visited the Center of Biological Medicines, as Colombo is interested in enhancing collaboration in the field of biotechnology with Havana.
The Sri Lanka president is scheduled to leave Cuba on Tuesday to attend the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, better known as the Rio+20 summit.
Cuba and Sri Lanka established diplomatic relations in 1959, six months after the triumph of the socialist revolution on the island. The two nations have developed close ties in education, health and sports.
Cuba sent a medical brigade with biotechnological drugs to support Sri Lanka immediately after a devastating tsunami hit the country in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam