Cuban to be jailed for complaining about food shortage
Havana: A court of appeals in Havana has upheld the two-year sentence handed down to a man who had protested before television cameras about hunger in Cuba, a dissident told EFE.
The court ruled that Juan Carlos Gonzalez Marcos, 48, committed the crime of being a "social danger”, said Richard Rossello of the Cuban Commission on Human Rights and National Reconciliation who attended the hearing as an observer.
The sentence may not be appealed and Gonzalez, known as "Panfilo", will spend his two years behind bars in the Toledo 2 prison, located on the outskirts of Havana.
The incident occurred in July, when an evidently intoxicated Panfilo interrupted the taping of a documentary on urban music in Cuba and shouted: "There`s tremendous hunger here. What we need is `jama` (a Cuban slang word for food)."
His outburst might have passed unnoticed if someone had not posted the images on YouTube, where more than 400,000 people viewed them, and from that point forward support groups began to spring up for Panfilo.
Upon seeing the commotion his remarks had caused, Panfilo retracted them in a later video in which he asserted: "I didn`t know who filmed me, and I didn`t do it with any aim" in mind, but that did not stop authorities from arresting him and putting him on trial August 12 in a closed-door hearing.
On Thursday, his defence attorney told the appeals court that his client was suffering from alcoholism and therefore he asked that he be placed in an institution for rehabilitation, but his arguments did not find favour with the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla