Cubans mark Good Friday as official holiday
Havana: Good Friday was an official holiday in Cuba for the first time in a half century, but few Catholics on the island seemed to be using the day off to attend Mass.
Cuba`s Communist government declared the holiday to honour a request that Pope Benedict XVI made during last week`s visit. But journalists saw only a few more worshippers than usual were noted inside Havana`s Catholic churches on Friday.
Authorities were also allowing Cardinal Jaime Ortega`s to transmit a Good Friday message on state television.
Magno Felipe Mitjans, a lay worker who described himself as "revolutionary, Christian and Catholic”, said at his parish of San Juan de Letran, "We have received more people, including in comparison with other Good Fridays."
Good Friday is the day Catholics commemorate the death of Christ, but it is not an official holiday in the United States, most of Europe or even Mexico, the most Catholic of the world`s Spanish-speaking countries.
Cuba removed references to atheism from its Constitution in the 1990s, and relations have since warmed with the church. Still, less than 10 percent of islanders are practicing Catholics. The country has large numbers of adherents to Santeria and evangelical Christianity.
"I`m not Catholic, but I respect them," said Gladys Ocampo, among workers who got the day off. "I`m happy to have a holiday I wasn`t counting on."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand
- Donald Trump has no clue about middle class, says Joe Biden
- Barack Obama endorses Hillary Clinton for US presidency - Highlights