Curfew on election campaign in northern Iraqi province
Sulaimaniyah: Electoral authorities on Friday imposed a curfew on campaigning in a northern Iraqi province that has become a fierce battleground for Kurdish votes ahead of the country`s general election.
Sulaimaniyah, 270 kilometres north of Baghdad, is the focus of considerable tension between rival Kurdish parties, vying for maximum leverage in the event of Kurds being possible kingmakers in Iraq`s next government.
Campaigning will be banned throughout the province from 0900 pm to 0600 am, election organisers said, a decision that came in the wake of several violent incidents, including a shooting that left three political activists wounded.
The curfew will "protect the process of campaigning for the political entities and candidates, prevent traffic accidents, and protect citizens in the province," said a local Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) statement.
"Anyone who infringes the curfew will be punished," it added, without giving further details. The restrictions will last until the end of campaigning on March 5, two days before the election.
Security forces loyal to Iraqi President Jalal Talabani`s Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) were accused yesterday of having shot and wounded three people from the rival Goran ("Change" in Kurdish) bloc in a clash at a political meeting in Sulaimaniyah, a stronghold of Talabani supporters, on Tuesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy