Cyber attack on White House: `No breach of classified system`
Washington: The White House has said that it has experienced a "spear phishing attack against an unclassified network" but asserted that there was never any impact or attempted breach of any classified system.
"This was a spear phishing attack against an unclassified network. These types of attacks are not infrequent and we have mitigation measures in place," the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters abroad Air Force One yesterday.
Spear phishing is a cyber-attack that uses disguised emails that seek to convince recipients of a specific organisation to provide confidential information.
In this instance, Carney said that the attack was identified, the system was isolated, and there is no indication whatsoever that any exfiltration of data took place.
"Moreover, there was never any impact or attempted breach of any classified system," Carney asserted responding to reporters` questions in news reports about hacking of White House computer system whose source is said to be originating from China.
"Hackers linked to China`s government broke into one of the US government`s most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defence and intelligence officials familiar with the incident," `The Washington Free Beacon` reported yesterday.
"One official said the cyber breach was one of Beijing`s most brazen cyber-attacks against the United States and highlights a failure of the Obama administration to press China on its persistent cyber-attacks," said Beacon, which broke the news.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!