Cyber attacks top threat to US security: Intel Dir
Washington: A senior US official has told lawmakers that they now consider cyber attacks as among the top threats to the national security, even though there is remote chance of any such major attack against the critical infrastructure systems during the next two years.
In a significant departure from the past, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, in his unclassified annual threat assessment to the Congress, has put cyber attacks ahead of threat from terrorists, and that from Iran and North Korea.
"When it comes to the distinct threat areas, our statement this year leads with cyber. It is hard to overemphasise its significance. Increasingly, state and non-state actors are gaining and using cyber expertise," Clapper told members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
He said online attackers apply cyber techniques and capabilities to achieve strategic objectives by gathering sensitive information from both public and private entities, controlling the content and flow of information, and challenging perceived adversaries in cyberspace.
"These capabilities put all sectors of our county at risk, from government and private networks to critical infrastructures," Clapper said.
He pointed out towards indications that some terrorist organisations are interested in developing offensive cyber capabilities and cyber criminals are using a growing black market to sell cyber tools that fall into the hands of both state and non-state actors.
"Of course, as the terrorist threat has receded, the threat from cyber attack and cyber espionage has grown," said Senator Dianne Feinstein, Chairperson of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
"We have seen large-scale denial-of-service attacks against US banks and recent public reports, including by the computer security firm Mandiant, about massive cyber penetrations and loss of intellectual property from United States businesses," she said.
John Brennan, the new CIA Director, said the seriousness and the diversity of threats the country faces in the cyber domain are increasing on a daily basis.
"From my perspective, I think this is one of the real significant national security challenges we face. The threat is going to continue and it`s going to grow. What we need to do as a country is to reduce the vulnerabilities and take the mitigation steps," he said.
He called for doing more for protecting country`s vital infrastructures from cyber attacks by understanding the nature, scope and diversity of the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo