Cyber attacks top threat to US security: Intel Dir
Washington: A senior US official has told lawmakers that they now consider cyber attacks as among the top threats to the national security, even though there is remote chance of any such major attack against the critical infrastructure systems during the next two years.
In a significant departure from the past, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, in his unclassified annual threat assessment to the Congress, has put cyber attacks ahead of threat from terrorists, and that from Iran and North Korea.
"When it comes to the distinct threat areas, our statement this year leads with cyber. It is hard to overemphasise its significance. Increasingly, state and non-state actors are gaining and using cyber expertise," Clapper told members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
He said online attackers apply cyber techniques and capabilities to achieve strategic objectives by gathering sensitive information from both public and private entities, controlling the content and flow of information, and challenging perceived adversaries in cyberspace.
"These capabilities put all sectors of our county at risk, from government and private networks to critical infrastructures," Clapper said.
He pointed out towards indications that some terrorist organisations are interested in developing offensive cyber capabilities and cyber criminals are using a growing black market to sell cyber tools that fall into the hands of both state and non-state actors.
"Of course, as the terrorist threat has receded, the threat from cyber attack and cyber espionage has grown," said Senator Dianne Feinstein, Chairperson of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
"We have seen large-scale denial-of-service attacks against US banks and recent public reports, including by the computer security firm Mandiant, about massive cyber penetrations and loss of intellectual property from United States businesses," she said.
John Brennan, the new CIA Director, said the seriousness and the diversity of threats the country faces in the cyber domain are increasing on a daily basis.
"From my perspective, I think this is one of the real significant national security challenges we face. The threat is going to continue and it`s going to grow. What we need to do as a country is to reduce the vulnerabilities and take the mitigation steps," he said.
He called for doing more for protecting country`s vital infrastructures from cyber attacks by understanding the nature, scope and diversity of the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi