Cyclone Giri lashes western Myanmar
Yangon: A cyclone that struck Myanmar`s western coast late last week damaged hundreds of homes and displaced thousands of residents but the government has given no official estimate of damages or casualties, residents and aid agencies said on Monday.
Cyclone Giri arrived from the Bay of Bengal on Friday evening with winds of up to 177 kph, lashing several areas of western Rakhine state including Myebon, Pauktaw, Myanaung, Ponnagyu and Kyaukphyu. The coastal areas are populated by poor families living mostly in bamboo huts.
Three temporary camps have been set up in Kyaukphyu for more than 5,000 people by the Myanmar Red Cross and the Social Welfare Ministry, said Andrew Kirkwood, the resident representative of aid group Save the Children.
The government has not yet reported the damage or casualties from the category 4 cyclone. State-run newspapers did not mention the cyclone aftermath though they reported the visit of the country`s social welfare minister to Kyaukphyu.
Kirkwood cited reports that "70 percent of the buildings in Kayukphyu had their roofs blown off and Kyaukphyu hospital was badly damaged."
A resident from Kyaukphyu, Daw Chit Chit, who was contacted by phone, said that many homes had their roofs blown off and that many areas remained flooded. She said communications were cut over the weekend had been restored.
On Kyunthaya island, located between Myebone and Kyaukphyu, there were seven houses left standing from an original community of 622 houses, Kirkwood said. Myebone, which is north of Kyaukphyu, was also badly damaged and the local aid groups were on their way, he said.
Cyclone Nargis, which struck Myanmar in May 2008 and killed 130,000 people and destroyed 800,000 buildings, mostly on the southern tip of Myanmar`s Irrawaddy Delta. The ruling military junta was widely criticised for what were called inadequate preparations and initial response to that disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray