Cyclone Giri lashes western Myanmar
Yangon: A cyclone that struck Myanmar`s western coast late last week damaged hundreds of homes and displaced thousands of residents but the government has given no official estimate of damages or casualties, residents and aid agencies said on Monday.
Cyclone Giri arrived from the Bay of Bengal on Friday evening with winds of up to 177 kph, lashing several areas of western Rakhine state including Myebon, Pauktaw, Myanaung, Ponnagyu and Kyaukphyu. The coastal areas are populated by poor families living mostly in bamboo huts.
Three temporary camps have been set up in Kyaukphyu for more than 5,000 people by the Myanmar Red Cross and the Social Welfare Ministry, said Andrew Kirkwood, the resident representative of aid group Save the Children.
The government has not yet reported the damage or casualties from the category 4 cyclone. State-run newspapers did not mention the cyclone aftermath though they reported the visit of the country`s social welfare minister to Kyaukphyu.
Kirkwood cited reports that "70 percent of the buildings in Kayukphyu had their roofs blown off and Kyaukphyu hospital was badly damaged."
A resident from Kyaukphyu, Daw Chit Chit, who was contacted by phone, said that many homes had their roofs blown off and that many areas remained flooded. She said communications were cut over the weekend had been restored.
On Kyunthaya island, located between Myebone and Kyaukphyu, there were seven houses left standing from an original community of 622 houses, Kirkwood said. Myebone, which is north of Kyaukphyu, was also badly damaged and the local aid groups were on their way, he said.
Cyclone Nargis, which struck Myanmar in May 2008 and killed 130,000 people and destroyed 800,000 buildings, mostly on the southern tip of Myanmar`s Irrawaddy Delta. The ruling military junta was widely criticised for what were called inadequate preparations and initial response to that disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- 'The Ring' co-star Anushka Sharma beats Shah Rukh Khan in 'Prague'! – Know how
- Indonesian church attacker ''obsessed'' with Islamic State leader: Senior minister
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen Army camp: Security official
- China's Xi Jinping reshuffles key party posts ahead of congress
- FIR filed against Vishal Dadlani, Tehseen Poonawalla over 'monkery' tweet on Jain religious leader