Cyprus banks to remain closed another two days
Nicosia: Cyprus` banks will remain closed Thursday and Friday as officials try to find a new plan to stave off bankruptcy.
Aliki Stylianou, the central bank`s spokeswoman, confirmed the additional two-day closure today. The cash-strapped lenders have been closed since Saturday to avoid a bank run.
The Parliament this week rejected a plan to take a portion of bank deposits. That has left Cypriot officials looking for alternative ways to scrounge up some 5.8 billion euros (USD 7.51 billion) that the country`s euro area partners and the IMF expect in order to loan another 10 billion euros.
The money is needed to shore up the ailing banks and government finances. Cypriot authorities kept banks closed in order to avoid a run on the lenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing