Cyprus banks to remain closed another two days
Nicosia: Cyprus` banks will remain closed Thursday and Friday as officials try to find a new plan to stave off bankruptcy.
Aliki Stylianou, the central bank`s spokeswoman, confirmed the additional two-day closure today. The cash-strapped lenders have been closed since Saturday to avoid a bank run.
The Parliament this week rejected a plan to take a portion of bank deposits. That has left Cypriot officials looking for alternative ways to scrounge up some 5.8 billion euros (USD 7.51 billion) that the country`s euro area partners and the IMF expect in order to loan another 10 billion euros.
The money is needed to shore up the ailing banks and government finances. Cypriot authorities kept banks closed in order to avoid a run on the lenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof