Cyprus police arrest 20 in base blast protest
Nicosia: Cyprus police say they have arrested 20 people after demonstrators angry at an explosion in which 12 people died tried to breach gates leading to the island`s presidential palace in the capital
Police said on Wednesday that the arrests occurred late Tuesday during a protest over what demonstrators said was official negligence in the explosion of seized gunpowder stored at a naval base.
Police said protesters hurled rocks, flares and molotov cocktails at riot police, who responded with tear gas. Five police officers were slightly injured.
Meanwhile, funeral services for eight of the 12 dead that included the island`s Navy chief are being held on Wednesday.
Monday`s blast also wrecked a key power plant and forced the resignations of the defence minister and the military chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player