Cyprus police arrest 20 in base blast protest
Nicosia: Cyprus police say they have arrested 20 people after demonstrators angry at an explosion in which 12 people died tried to breach gates leading to the island`s presidential palace in the capital
Police said on Wednesday that the arrests occurred late Tuesday during a protest over what demonstrators said was official negligence in the explosion of seized gunpowder stored at a naval base.
Police said protesters hurled rocks, flares and molotov cocktails at riot police, who responded with tear gas. Five police officers were slightly injured.
Meanwhile, funeral services for eight of the 12 dead that included the island`s Navy chief are being held on Wednesday.
Monday`s blast also wrecked a key power plant and forced the resignations of the defence minister and the military chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video