Cyprus police arrest 20 in base blast protest
Nicosia: Cyprus police say they have arrested 20 people after demonstrators angry at an explosion in which 12 people died tried to breach gates leading to the island`s presidential palace in the capital
Police said on Wednesday that the arrests occurred late Tuesday during a protest over what demonstrators said was official negligence in the explosion of seized gunpowder stored at a naval base.
Police said protesters hurled rocks, flares and molotov cocktails at riot police, who responded with tear gas. Five police officers were slightly injured.
Meanwhile, funeral services for eight of the 12 dead that included the island`s Navy chief are being held on Wednesday.
Monday`s blast also wrecked a key power plant and forced the resignations of the defence minister and the military chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win