Cyprus police arrest 20 in base blast protest
Nicosia: Cyprus police say they have arrested 20 people after demonstrators angry at an explosion in which 12 people died tried to breach gates leading to the island`s presidential palace in the capital
Police said on Wednesday that the arrests occurred late Tuesday during a protest over what demonstrators said was official negligence in the explosion of seized gunpowder stored at a naval base.
Police said protesters hurled rocks, flares and molotov cocktails at riot police, who responded with tear gas. Five police officers were slightly injured.
Meanwhile, funeral services for eight of the 12 dead that included the island`s Navy chief are being held on Wednesday.
Monday`s blast also wrecked a key power plant and forced the resignations of the defence minister and the military chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000