Cyprus police seek vanished Russian spy suspect
Nicosia: A Cyprus police spokesman says authorities have stepped up their search for an alleged member of a Russian spy ring who vanished after skipping bail.
Michalis Katsounotos said on Thursday that police have "no indications yet" that 54-year-old Christopher Robert Metsos has left the island or crossed over into its breakaway northern Turkish sector, which is recognised by no country other than Turkey.
Metsos, who says he is Canadian, is wanted in the US on charges he supplied money to the spy ring that operated under deep cover in America`s suburbs. He was arrested on Tuesday in Cyprus as he tried to board a flight for Budapest, Hungary.
A Cypriot judge freed him on EUR 27,000 (USD 33,000) bail, but Metsos failed to show up on Wednesday for a required meeting with police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town