Cyprus police seek vanished Russian spy suspect
Nicosia: A Cyprus police spokesman says authorities have stepped up their search for an alleged member of a Russian spy ring who vanished after skipping bail.
Michalis Katsounotos said on Thursday that police have "no indications yet" that 54-year-old Christopher Robert Metsos has left the island or crossed over into its breakaway northern Turkish sector, which is recognised by no country other than Turkey.
Metsos, who says he is Canadian, is wanted in the US on charges he supplied money to the spy ring that operated under deep cover in America`s suburbs. He was arrested on Tuesday in Cyprus as he tried to board a flight for Budapest, Hungary.
A Cypriot judge freed him on EUR 27,000 (USD 33,000) bail, but Metsos failed to show up on Wednesday for a required meeting with police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah