Cyprus police seek vanished Russian spy suspect
Nicosia: A Cyprus police spokesman says authorities have stepped up their search for an alleged member of a Russian spy ring who vanished after skipping bail.
Michalis Katsounotos said on Thursday that police have "no indications yet" that 54-year-old Christopher Robert Metsos has left the island or crossed over into its breakaway northern Turkish sector, which is recognised by no country other than Turkey.
Metsos, who says he is Canadian, is wanted in the US on charges he supplied money to the spy ring that operated under deep cover in America`s suburbs. He was arrested on Tuesday in Cyprus as he tried to board a flight for Budapest, Hungary.
A Cypriot judge freed him on EUR 27,000 (USD 33,000) bail, but Metsos failed to show up on Wednesday for a required meeting with police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda