Cyprus police seek vanished Russian spy suspect
Nicosia: A Cyprus police spokesman says authorities have stepped up their search for an alleged member of a Russian spy ring who vanished after skipping bail.
Michalis Katsounotos said on Thursday that police have "no indications yet" that 54-year-old Christopher Robert Metsos has left the island or crossed over into its breakaway northern Turkish sector, which is recognised by no country other than Turkey.
Metsos, who says he is Canadian, is wanted in the US on charges he supplied money to the spy ring that operated under deep cover in America`s suburbs. He was arrested on Tuesday in Cyprus as he tried to board a flight for Budapest, Hungary.
A Cypriot judge freed him on EUR 27,000 (USD 33,000) bail, but Metsos failed to show up on Wednesday for a required meeting with police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'