Cyprus rivals hold second day of UN talks
United Nations: Rival Greek- and Turkish-
Cypriot leaders held a second day of UN-brokered talks aiming for a breakthrough in efforts to reunite the divided Mediterranean island, officials said.
But organizers yesterday pushed back until today a planned
press conference with UN leader Ban Ki-moon, Demetris
Christofias, head of the internationally recognized Greek-Cypriot government, and Turkish-Cypriot leader Dervis
Ban has attended both days of the talks, but no details of
the second day of meetings at Greentree, in the New York
suburbs, were given.
Alexander Downer, the UN special envoy on Cyprus, said on
Sunday that the talks had been "positive, productive and
The two sides face growing pressure from the United
Nations and European Union to reach an agreement. Ban is to decide on the future of the UN efforts to bring them together at the end of the Greentree meetings.
The key sticking points have included territorial
adjustments, security arrangements and property rights.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkish troops
occupied the northern third in response to an Greek-inspired
coup in Nicosia aimed at union with Greece. Only Turkey
recognizes the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?