Czech government survives no-confidence vote
Prague: The Czech government has survived a parliamentary vote of no-confidence over a military deal investigators say was overpriced.
The opposition fell 12 votes short of the 101 needed to dismiss the center-right government late yesterday, with only 89 legislators voting in favour of the motion while the same number opposed it.
It was the fourth such no-confidence vote the coalition government has survived since taking power in 2010.
Last week, Parliament`s lower house stripped former defense minister Vlasta Parkanova of immunity from prosecution because police say she failed to order an official assessment of a proper price for four military transport aircraft purchased by the ministry. As a result, authorities say the country paid some USD 31 million too much.
Finance Minister Miroslav Kalousek, deputy chairman of Parkanova`s conservative TOP 09 party, vehemently protested the investigation into her actions.
The opposition claimed Kalousek called top investigators in a bid to influence the probe, and it requested the no-confidence vote after Prime Minister Petr Necas refused to fire him.
Kalousek has admitted calling the investigators, though he did not admit to trying to influence the investigation. Necas acknowledged Wednesday the calls were a mistake, but, in a heated debate, rejected the idea that there was any political influence on the investigation. The prime minister insisted that "nobody in the Czech Republic is obstructing or blocking any investigation of criminal acts, including corruption."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed