Czech President to be sent thousands of pens
Prague: Some say the pen is mightier than the sword. If true, Czech President Vaclav Klaus will soon be a very mighty man.
More than 5,000 Czechs have signed up to a Facebook campaign to mail pens to the President after a video of him sheepishly pocketing a pen he took an obvious liking to during an official signing ceremony last week in Chile became widely popular on the Internet.
Klaus says it`s customary for leaders to keep pens after signing accords. But the manner in which he sized up the pen - encrusted with semiprecious Chilean stones - and then sneakily slipped it into his pocket while he sat at a desk alongside Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has earned him the ridicule of some of his countrymen.
“It seemed to me absolutely inappropriate to do anything like that during an official ceremony,” said Vojtech Palous, a 23-year-old student of medicine from Prague.
“To do that in front of television cameras was just insane.” Campaign participants are being asked to send to the presidential office pens, pencils or other writing means on May 02 because `Mr President obviously has nothing to write with’.
Palous said it is likely his family will send the President a parcel with a collection of pens.
“The campaign is great because so many people were able to say they disapprove with Klaus, and they can do it in a relatively funny way,” Palous said. The Czech Foreign Ministry declined comment on Wednesday when asked if they thought Klaus` huge YouTube exposure could harm the country`s image.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!