Dagestan rebel commander killed in raid: Russia
Moscow: Russian forces in the restive north
Caucasus Dagestan region killed seven suspected rebels, including a top commander, Russia`s anti-terror committee said Friday.
One of those killed during the operation conducted yesterday and today in the Dagestan capital Makhachkala was
Abdullah Magomedaliev, the committee said, according to
Russian news agencies.
The gunman, who was born in 1977, was described as "the
leader of a battalion specialised in spectacular attacks
against the security forces."
"Magomedaliev trained a suicide bomber and planned the
the suicide attack against interior ministry base in Bouinaksk
that killed 56 troops in September 2010," the committee said.
Initial reports at the time of the attack had mentioned
a much lower death toll.
"Through his foreign network, Magomedaliev had contacts
with the Georgian special service, who supported his terrorist
activities," the committee alleged.
Russia and Georgia routinely trade accusations of interference in each other`s security affairs.
The violence in Dagestan, the North Caucasus`s most
populous region bordering Chechnya, has rattled the Kremlin,
with near daily attacks that have killed scores of police and
The Kremlin has been fighting insurgents in the North
Caucasus since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, waging a
war in 1994-1996 against separatist rebels in Chechnya, which
neighbours Dagestan to the west.
After a second war in Chechnya in 1999, the rebellion`s
inspiration moved towards Islam with the aim of imposing an
Islamic state in the region.
Although the war ended in 2000, rebels have waged an
increasingly deadly insurgency, with the unrest spreading into
other areas of the North Caucasus such as Dagestan and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says