Daily Mirror faces legal action over phone hacking
London: The publishers of the British media firm the Daily Mirror have become embroiled in the phone hacking scandal after it emerged that four individuals have launched legal action against the company’s titles.
The claims relate to Mirror Group Newspapers, which also publishes the Sunday People and the Sunday Mirror.
The four claimants were reported to be Sven-Goran Eriksson, the former England football manager, Shobna Gulati, the Coronation Street actress, Abbie Gibson, a former nanny for the Beckham family, and Garry Flitcroft, the former footballer, the Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, Eriksson’s claim is believed to relate to the Daily Mirror during a period when Piers Morgan was editor.
The claims allege “breach of confidence and misuse of private information” relating to the “interception and/or misuse of mobile phone voicemail messages and/or the interception of telephone accounts”, according to a report by the Financial Times.
Mark Lewis, the solicitor for the four claimants, said that unlike cases involving the News of the World cases, in which a list of alleged victims was found in a notebook, there was no paper trail this time.
“There might not be a documentary smoking gun, but we will show there is a smoking bullet, the consequence of the actions,” the paper quoted Lewis, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened