Dalai Lama glorifying suicides: China
Beijing: China on Tuesday hit back at the Dalai
Lama for raising the charge of a "cultural genocide" in Tibet,
accusing the spiritual leader of glorifying suicidal acts and
using his foreign visits to sully Beijing`s image.
Responding to the Dalai Lama`s recent statement in Japan
where he blamed the recent suicides by Tibetan monks on the
Chinese policy of cultural genocide, Chinese Foreign Ministry,
spokesman Hong Lei said such statements that "glorify"
suicides will only incite more people.
"Dalai Lama has always been using his visits to other
countries to sell his position of Tibet independence and sully
the image of Chinese government as well as playing up Tibet
related issues," Hong told a media briefing.
A wave of self-immolation bids have been witnessed in
China in protest against the Chinese policy in the region
recently. A 35-year-old nun set herself on fire last week in
southwestern Sichuan province, bringing to 11 the number of
monks and nuns who have turned to self-immolation in recent
"The sad incidents (suicides by nine Buddhist monks and
two nuns in recent months) happened due to desperate sort of
situation," the Dalai Lama was quoted as saying during his
recent visit to Japan.
"Including many Chinese mainland (people) who visit Tibet,
they all have terrible impression that thing are terrible...
some kind of cultural genocide is taking place," he said.
Hong charged that by glorifying suicides, the Dalai Lama
is inciting more people to take this path.
"After self-immolation cases in Sichuan and Tibetan areas,
the Dalai group did not condemn such extreme behaviour. On the
contrary they glorify and play them to incite more people to
follow suite. This is challenging human conscience and moral
bottom line," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?