Dalai Lama glorifying suicides: China
Beijing: China on Tuesday hit back at the Dalai
Lama for raising the charge of a "cultural genocide" in Tibet,
accusing the spiritual leader of glorifying suicidal acts and
using his foreign visits to sully Beijing`s image.
Responding to the Dalai Lama`s recent statement in Japan
where he blamed the recent suicides by Tibetan monks on the
Chinese policy of cultural genocide, Chinese Foreign Ministry,
spokesman Hong Lei said such statements that "glorify"
suicides will only incite more people.
"Dalai Lama has always been using his visits to other
countries to sell his position of Tibet independence and sully
the image of Chinese government as well as playing up Tibet
related issues," Hong told a media briefing.
A wave of self-immolation bids have been witnessed in
China in protest against the Chinese policy in the region
recently. A 35-year-old nun set herself on fire last week in
southwestern Sichuan province, bringing to 11 the number of
monks and nuns who have turned to self-immolation in recent
"The sad incidents (suicides by nine Buddhist monks and
two nuns in recent months) happened due to desperate sort of
situation," the Dalai Lama was quoted as saying during his
recent visit to Japan.
"Including many Chinese mainland (people) who visit Tibet,
they all have terrible impression that thing are terrible...
some kind of cultural genocide is taking place," he said.
Hong charged that by glorifying suicides, the Dalai Lama
is inciting more people to take this path.
"After self-immolation cases in Sichuan and Tibetan areas,
the Dalai group did not condemn such extreme behaviour. On the
contrary they glorify and play them to incite more people to
follow suite. This is challenging human conscience and moral
bottom line," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical