`Dalai Lama group inciting self-immolations`
Beijing: The Dalai Lama-led group of Tibetans "makes false charges" against the Chinese government and "incites young people to sacrifice their lives" for their so-called religious freedom, a state-run Chinese daily said Tuesday.
Since last year, there have been many cases of young Tibetans in the Aba Tibetan and Qiang regions of southwest Sichuan province dying after setting themselves on fire, the Global Times said in an editorial.
It said the media has revealed details of the cases and "shown to the public" that the plots were "hatched by the Dalai Lama group".
The daily said the the Dalai Lama group "deliberately creates an atmosphere of terror to attract the attention of the international community and chases its political purposes by using the lives of young people".
Even as some Tibetans in China accuse the government of eroding their culture and repressing their religion, the daily said that people can see "many cultural facilities and activities" and "public religious infrastructure projects" in Tibetan regions.
It said China knows the significance of respecting and protecting the right to religious freedom.
"Only when abrupt incidents take place and the situation threatens social stability, will the government take action," the daily said.
"The Dalai Lama group makes false charges against the Chinese government and incites young people to sacrifice their lives for the sake of their so-called religious freedom," the Global Times said.
It said that due to historical roots and religious doctrines, many ordinary monks, especially young people, worship the Dalai Lama.
"Some can easily be instigated and very seldom listen to other voices. They are innocent and in the prime of their lives, which makes their sacrifice so distressing," it said.
Self-immolation is against humanity and religious principles, and compassion and "ahimsa" are the core values of Buddhism.
In Buddhism, "the act of inciting suicide and providing conditions for suicidal behaviour is a grave sin".
"If, as the Dalai Lama claims, Tibetans are living in misery, could those self-immolation cases give people there a better life?" the daily asked.
Alleging that some followers of the Dalai Lama "believe that self-immolation is the highest non-violent form of expressing resentment against government rule", the daily said self-immolations "brings fear to others and causes social panic".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in