Dalai Lama meets Suu Kyi in London
London: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met another Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time here, expressing his admiration for her "courage".
In a message posted on his website Wednesday, the Dalai Lama said they met privately for around 30 minutes, when he said he had told Suu Kyi he had "real admiration for your courage" and that he believed she would be of "great service to humanity."
"After more than half an hour`s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life`s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again," the Dalai Lama`s website said.
Yesterday was Suu Kyi`s birthday, which she celebrated in London and Oxford, with her family friends.
The Dalai Lama has been on tour in the UK, delivering public talks and other addresses. His visit to Leeds last week was allegedly opposed by China, while there are also reports of his visit to Dundee, Scotland, facing opposition from China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30