Dalai Lama meets Suu Kyi in London
London: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met another Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time here, expressing his admiration for her "courage".
In a message posted on his website Wednesday, the Dalai Lama said they met privately for around 30 minutes, when he said he had told Suu Kyi he had "real admiration for your courage" and that he believed she would be of "great service to humanity."
"After more than half an hour`s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life`s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again," the Dalai Lama`s website said.
Yesterday was Suu Kyi`s birthday, which she celebrated in London and Oxford, with her family friends.
The Dalai Lama has been on tour in the UK, delivering public talks and other addresses. His visit to Leeds last week was allegedly opposed by China, while there are also reports of his visit to Dundee, Scotland, facing opposition from China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing