Dalai Lama meets Suu Kyi in London
London: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met another Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time here, expressing his admiration for her "courage".
In a message posted on his website Wednesday, the Dalai Lama said they met privately for around 30 minutes, when he said he had told Suu Kyi he had "real admiration for your courage" and that he believed she would be of "great service to humanity."
"After more than half an hour`s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life`s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again," the Dalai Lama`s website said.
Yesterday was Suu Kyi`s birthday, which she celebrated in London and Oxford, with her family friends.
The Dalai Lama has been on tour in the UK, delivering public talks and other addresses. His visit to Leeds last week was allegedly opposed by China, while there are also reports of his visit to Dundee, Scotland, facing opposition from China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users