Dalai Lama meets Suu Kyi in London
London: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met another Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time here, expressing his admiration for her "courage".
In a message posted on his website Wednesday, the Dalai Lama said they met privately for around 30 minutes, when he said he had told Suu Kyi he had "real admiration for your courage" and that he believed she would be of "great service to humanity."
"After more than half an hour`s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life`s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again," the Dalai Lama`s website said.
Yesterday was Suu Kyi`s birthday, which she celebrated in London and Oxford, with her family friends.
The Dalai Lama has been on tour in the UK, delivering public talks and other addresses. His visit to Leeds last week was allegedly opposed by China, while there are also reports of his visit to Dundee, Scotland, facing opposition from China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"