Dalai Lama meets Suu Kyi in London
London: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met another Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time here, expressing his admiration for her "courage".
In a message posted on his website Wednesday, the Dalai Lama said they met privately for around 30 minutes, when he said he had told Suu Kyi he had "real admiration for your courage" and that he believed she would be of "great service to humanity."
"After more than half an hour`s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life`s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again," the Dalai Lama`s website said.
Yesterday was Suu Kyi`s birthday, which she celebrated in London and Oxford, with her family friends.
The Dalai Lama has been on tour in the UK, delivering public talks and other addresses. His visit to Leeds last week was allegedly opposed by China, while there are also reports of his visit to Dundee, Scotland, facing opposition from China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?