Dalai Lama questions ‘wisdom of self-immolations’
London: Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has said that he is very worried about the growing number self-immolations, and questioned the wisdom of such actions as a means of fighting China’s repression against Buddhist monks.
In an exclusive interview with The BBC, the Dalai Lama said such actions require a lot of courage, and questioned how effective they were.
The spiritual leader, who denied encouraging self-immolations, pointed out that courage alone is no substitute and that Tibetans must use wisdom.
“The question is how much effect the self-immolations have. That`s the question. There is courage - very strong courage. But how much effect?” the Dalai Lama said.
“Courage alone is no substitute. You must utilise your wisdom,” he added.
The Dalai Lama said he feared such actions could make life worse for people in Tibet.
“Many Tibetans sacrifice their lives. Nobody knows how many people killed and tortured. I mean death through torture. Nobody knows,” he said.
“But a lot of people suffer. But how much effect? The Chinese respond harder,” he added.
According to the report, eleven Tibetan monks and nuns have so far set themselves on fire since March while protesting against Chinese policies that suppress Buddhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?