Dalai Lama to mark 77th birthday on Friday
Dharamsala: Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama will celebrate his 77th birthday on Friday, brisk preparations for which are underway here.
The Central Tibetan administration (CTA) has formed an organising committee to host the occasion with fervour.
"This time we are aiming for more local participation in gesture to express our gratitude towards locals and the people of this state (Himachal Pradesh).”
"We have invited the state chief minister and all the district administration officials on the occasion, but yet confirmation has not come," Tashi Phunstok, the head of the organising committee, said.
Ceremonies will be held the entire day tomorrow with festivities at Tsuglagkhang complex, the main Tibetan Temple at Mecleodganj, in the morning and at the Institute of Tibetan Performing Art (TIPA) in the evening.
Traditional cultural performances by Tibetan artists have been lined up and prayers will be held for the Dalai Lama, Phunstok said.
Tenzin Gyatso was born in Taktser of Qinghai on July 06, 1935. While recognised by Tibetans as being the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama two years later, he was formally given the status of the 14th Dalai Lama only on November 17, 1950, at the age of 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi