Dalai Lama wins 1.1 million pounds Templeton Prize
London: The Dalai Lama was on Thursday named as the
winner of the prestigious Templeton Prize 2012 for his
exceptional contribution to affirming life`s spiritual
The exiled Tibetan spiritual leader has vigorously focused
on the connections between the investigative traditions of
science and Buddhism as a way to better understand and advance
what both disciplines might offer the world, a release from
the John Templeton Foundation said.
The 1.1 million pounds prize will be presented to the
Dalai Lama at the St Paul`s Cathedral in London on May 14.
The Dalai Lama, 76, welcomed the announcement as the
recognition of what he called "my little service to humanity".
The Dalai Lama, who fled Lhasa in 1959 after a failed
uprising against the Chinese rule in Tibet, now lives in exile
The Templeton Prize honours a living person who has made
an exceptional contribution to affirming life`s spiritual
dimension, whether through insight, discovery, or practical
Established in 1972 by the late Sir John Templeton, the
Prize aims to identify "entrepreneurs of the spirit",
outstanding individuals who have devoted their talents to
expanding our vision of human purpose and ultimate reality.
The Prize celebrates no particular faith, tradition or
notion of God, but rather the quest for progress in humanity`s
efforts to comprehend the many and diverse manifestations of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened