Dam collapses in China, thousands evacuated
Beijing: Thousands of people were evacuated after a dam in north China`s Shanxi province collapsed, causing heavy flooding and damaging highways and rail tracks.
The top of an irrigation water duct of Quting Reservoir in Hongtong county caved in yesterday leading to collapse of its dam walls, official media reported.
No casualties have been reported. Thousands of villagers were evacuated to safety.
The floods damaged a highway and rail lines, leaving thousands of holiday passengers stranded at various places.
While the highway was flooded with silt, railway tracks were swept away. Eight railway lines have been shut.
More than 3,000 passengers have been stranded and temporary offices are dealing with ticket returns.
Officials said the irrigation duct was built in 1959 and attributed its collapse to its age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!