Damascus hails new UN envoy to Syria
Damascus: The Syrian foreign ministry Wednesday hailed the appointment of Staffan de Mistura who replaced Lakhdar Brahimi as the new UN envoy to Syria.
In a statement, the Syrian foreign ministry said that a dialogue with the Syrians is the only way out of the ongoing crisis in the country, Xinhua reported.
The ministry hoped Mistura would stick to neutrality and objectiveness, mainly to respect the national sovereignty of Syria and non-interference in its internal affairs.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon appointed Staffan de Mistura as the new UN envoy to Syria earlier this month, following the resignation of former envoy Lakhdar Brahimi.
Staffan de Mistura had served in the UN for 40 years.
De Mistura`s previous UN posts have included that of special representative of the secretary-general in Iraq (2007-2009) and Afghanistan (2010-2011), personal representative of the secretary-general for Southern Lebanon (2001-2004) and director of the UN Information Centre in Rome (2000-2001).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?