Damascus to comply with UN on arms plan: Syrian minister
London: Damascus will commit to a US-Russian plan to eradicate its chemical weapons once it has United Nations approval, Syria`s information minister told British television today, adding that the regime had already begun preparing relevant documents.
"Syria is committing itself to whatever comes from the UN," Omran al-Zoubi told ITN. "We accept the Russian plan to get rid of our chemical weapons. In fact we`ve started preparing our list.
We are already documenting our papers and we have started to do our job," he added. "We don`t waste time."
His comments come a day after US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov announced an ambitious deal to dismantle and destroy Syria`s chemical arms stockpile by mid-2014.
Syria will implement the US-Russian deal when it "turns into something more concrete" following a UN Security Council vote, Zoubi said.
"For 40 years Syria has always been trusted once it has committed itself."
Zoubi vowed that war-torn Syria would "absolutely" grant access to weapons inspectors, saying the country "respects and honours what it says."
"We take this agreement very seriously," the minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know