Damascus to comply with UN on arms plan: Syrian minister
London: Damascus will commit to a US-Russian plan to eradicate its chemical weapons once it has United Nations approval, Syria`s information minister told British television today, adding that the regime had already begun preparing relevant documents.
"Syria is committing itself to whatever comes from the UN," Omran al-Zoubi told ITN. "We accept the Russian plan to get rid of our chemical weapons. In fact we`ve started preparing our list.
We are already documenting our papers and we have started to do our job," he added. "We don`t waste time."
His comments come a day after US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov announced an ambitious deal to dismantle and destroy Syria`s chemical arms stockpile by mid-2014.
Syria will implement the US-Russian deal when it "turns into something more concrete" following a UN Security Council vote, Zoubi said.
"For 40 years Syria has always been trusted once it has committed itself."
Zoubi vowed that war-torn Syria would "absolutely" grant access to weapons inspectors, saying the country "respects and honours what it says."
"We take this agreement very seriously," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!