Damascus to comply with UN on arms plan: Syrian minister
London: Damascus will commit to a US-Russian plan to eradicate its chemical weapons once it has United Nations approval, Syria`s information minister told British television today, adding that the regime had already begun preparing relevant documents.
"Syria is committing itself to whatever comes from the UN," Omran al-Zoubi told ITN. "We accept the Russian plan to get rid of our chemical weapons. In fact we`ve started preparing our list.
We are already documenting our papers and we have started to do our job," he added. "We don`t waste time."
His comments come a day after US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov announced an ambitious deal to dismantle and destroy Syria`s chemical arms stockpile by mid-2014.
Syria will implement the US-Russian deal when it "turns into something more concrete" following a UN Security Council vote, Zoubi said.
"For 40 years Syria has always been trusted once it has committed itself."
Zoubi vowed that war-torn Syria would "absolutely" grant access to weapons inspectors, saying the country "respects and honours what it says."
"We take this agreement very seriously," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation