`Danger from terrorism remains urgent, undeniable`
Istanbul: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Thursday that the danger from terrorism still remains urgent and undeniable.
She made the statement at the opening of the two-day Global Counterterrorism Forum.
"In recent years, we have made stride in the fight against terrorism," Hillary said, adding that over the past decade more than 120,000 suspect terrorists were arrested in the world and more than 35,000 have been convicted.
Al Qaeda is still a serious and imminent threat as it is spreading geographically, she said ahead of a counter-terrorism meeting.
Davutoglu said Turkey is fully committed to the fight against the outlawed Kurdish Workers` Party (PKK), which continues its activities abroad, in Europe in particular.
Hillary voiced her support to Turkey in its fight against PKK.
The forum, held in Istanbul`s Conrad Hotel and co-chaired by Hillary and Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, is meant to bring together traditional allies, emerging powers and Muslim- majority countries.
As an effort to build the international framework for dealing with terrorism in the 21st century, the forum is aimed at providing a platform for policy-makers and experts from both the member countries and outside parties to identify urgent needs, devise solutions and mobilize resources to address the key challenges in counterterrorism. Officials from over 20 countries attended the forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video