Danish hostage freed in Syria after 13 months
Copenhagen: A Danish freelance photographer has been freed after being held hostage in Syria for 13 months, the Danish government has said.
Daniel Rye Ottosen was captured in Syria on 17 May last year after travelling to the country to "document the conflict and the living conditions of civilians, especially children," his family said in a statement emailed by the foreign ministry.
Sources close to the situation told news agency Ritzau that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) was behind the kidnapping and that a ransom had been paid for Ottosen`s release.
The family said the 25-year-old was "under the circumstances feeling well and is now about to be reunited with his family."
"Daniel`s case has long been known by the Danish press, but in the interest of Daniel`s security everyone has refrained from covering the story," it said.
The family said it didn`t want to be contacted by the media and the Danish foreign ministry said it wouldn`t give any further information about the incident.
A former elite gymnast, his family had appealed to gymnastics groups to contribute to the ransom payment, Danish media reported.
Ottosen had previously been working as an assistant for award-winning Danish photographer Jan Grarup, known for his work in warzones.
A war pitting Syrian rebels against ISIL has killed more than 6,000 people, mostly fighters, since it broke out in January.
In Iraq, the swift advance of fighters led by ISIL has sparked international alarm and a UN warning that the crisis was "life-threatening for Iraq".
Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have been displaced in ten days of fighting and an unknown number killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India