Danish minister quits after lying to Parliament
Copenhagen(Denmark): Denmark`s foreign aid minister has resigned after lying to Parliament about his role in endorsing huge travel expenses for a South Korean-based environmental organisation.
Christian Friis Bach says that as board member of the Global Green Growth Institute that advises developing nations on low-carbon growth policies he had approved guidelines allowing government donations to be used on first class flights and luxury hotels.
Last month, he told lawmakers he was not involved in approving such expenses.
The Danish chairman of the group, Lars Loekke Rasmussen, has said he spent more than USD 190,000 of the institute`s money during nine trips.
In 2011, Denmark donated USD 5.43 million to the institute over a three-year period. Friis Bach`s resignation took effect immediately today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'