Danish opposition demands answers on overflight leaks
Copenhagen: Denmark`s opposition has summoned officials to Parliament to respond to WikiLeaks cables saying the government had urged Washington to ignore its own questions about rendition flights.
Niels Helveg Petersen, a spokesman for the Danish Social Liberal Party, said on Monday government leaders needed to explain the leaked diplomatic cables involving CIA flights over Danish airspace.
"We have summoned the Prime Minister and the foreign minister because we want to shed every light on this embarrassing scandal," Petersen said.
According to a diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks and published on Sunday in the Danish newspaper Politiken, former Danish foreign minister Per Stig Moeller had asked Washington not to answer questions on the overflights.
In 2008, he promised Parliament he would get answers from the United States on this question.
"If the government provided false information on this issue to parliament, it will be very serious," Peterson said, adding that the two officials were expected to appear before Parliament by the end of the week.
According to the leaked cables, two high-ranking Danish officials told former US ambassador to Denmark James Cain that the Danish government was not demanding an answer from Washington on the issue.
Allegations that the flights had taken place emerged in a January 2008 documentary, "The CIA`s Danish Connections".
It said the US spy agency had flown planes registered with fake corporations over Danish airspace to transport terrorism suspects to Egypt, Jordan, Romania and Afghanistan, among other countries.
Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen has said he would not comment on information based on WikiLeaks documents.
A Danish commission of inquiry concluded in October 2008 that it could not say if the US had used the air space of Denmark and its overseas territories, Greenland and the Faroe Islands, for planes transporting terror suspects.
The secret flights were used in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks to transfer "war on terror" suspects to third countries for interrogation, where many said they were imprisoned and tortured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22