Danish paper apologises to Muslims in cartoon row
Copenhagen: Danish daily Politiken on Friday
apologised to Muslims for possibly offending them by
reproducing cartoons of the prophet Mohammed in 2008, but said
it did not regret publishing the drawings.
Politiken is the first Danish newspaper to formally
apologise to those who may have felt offended by the
publication of the cartoons.
It published today an agreement reached with eight
organisations from as many countries representing 94,923
descendants of the Muslim prophet.
In the agreement Politiken said it regretted if it had
insulted Muslims` faith, but that it did not regret publishing
the drawings and that it did not renounce the right to publish
the controversial drawings again.
Politiken`s apologies were condemned by the Danish
political class, who said the paper was caving in to pressure
and had sacrificed freedom of expression, which is considered
a cornerstone of Danish democracy.
Danish daily Jyllands-Posten first published 12
caricatures of Mohammed in September 2005.
The cartoons, including one featuring the prophet wearing
a turban shaped like a bomb with a lit fuse, angered many
Muslims worldwide and sparked angry and in some cases deadly
protests in January and February 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH