Danish queen fetes 70th birthday amid travel chaos
Copenhagen: Denmark`s Queen Margrethe is celebrating her 70th birthday with other European royals in festivities overshadowed by the travel chaos sparked by Iceland`s volcanic eruption.
Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby says there are "great uncertainties" about whether some dignitaries will make it for Friday`s celebrations.
Several VIP guests have failed to make it to Copenhagen, including Spain`s King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Iceland`s President Olafur R Grimsson.
Those in doubt include Britain`s Prince Philip and Belgium`s Crown Prince Philippe.
Margrethe became queen in 1972 and some say her oldest son, Crown Prince Frederik, should now take over.
However, Margrethe has dismissed retirement, saying she still feels committed to her royal duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'