Danish queen fetes 70th birthday amid travel chaos
Copenhagen: Denmark`s Queen Margrethe is celebrating her 70th birthday with other European royals in festivities overshadowed by the travel chaos sparked by Iceland`s volcanic eruption.
Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby says there are "great uncertainties" about whether some dignitaries will make it for Friday`s celebrations.
Several VIP guests have failed to make it to Copenhagen, including Spain`s King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Iceland`s President Olafur R Grimsson.
Those in doubt include Britain`s Prince Philip and Belgium`s Crown Prince Philippe.
Margrethe became queen in 1972 and some say her oldest son, Crown Prince Frederik, should now take over.
However, Margrethe has dismissed retirement, saying she still feels committed to her royal duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet