Danish queen fetes 70th birthday amid travel chaos
Copenhagen: Denmark`s Queen Margrethe is celebrating her 70th birthday with other European royals in festivities overshadowed by the travel chaos sparked by Iceland`s volcanic eruption.
Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby says there are "great uncertainties" about whether some dignitaries will make it for Friday`s celebrations.
Several VIP guests have failed to make it to Copenhagen, including Spain`s King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Iceland`s President Olafur R Grimsson.
Those in doubt include Britain`s Prince Philip and Belgium`s Crown Prince Philippe.
Margrethe became queen in 1972 and some say her oldest son, Crown Prince Frederik, should now take over.
However, Margrethe has dismissed retirement, saying she still feels committed to her royal duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest