Danish queen fetes 70th birthday amid travel chaos
Copenhagen: Denmark`s Queen Margrethe is celebrating her 70th birthday with other European royals in festivities overshadowed by the travel chaos sparked by Iceland`s volcanic eruption.
Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby says there are "great uncertainties" about whether some dignitaries will make it for Friday`s celebrations.
Several VIP guests have failed to make it to Copenhagen, including Spain`s King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Iceland`s President Olafur R Grimsson.
Those in doubt include Britain`s Prince Philip and Belgium`s Crown Prince Philippe.
Margrethe became queen in 1972 and some say her oldest son, Crown Prince Frederik, should now take over.
However, Margrethe has dismissed retirement, saying she still feels committed to her royal duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor