Danish queen fetes 70th birthday amid travel chaos
Copenhagen: Denmark`s Queen Margrethe is celebrating her 70th birthday with other European royals in festivities overshadowed by the travel chaos sparked by Iceland`s volcanic eruption.
Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby says there are "great uncertainties" about whether some dignitaries will make it for Friday`s celebrations.
Several VIP guests have failed to make it to Copenhagen, including Spain`s King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Iceland`s President Olafur R Grimsson.
Those in doubt include Britain`s Prince Philip and Belgium`s Crown Prince Philippe.
Margrethe became queen in 1972 and some say her oldest son, Crown Prince Frederik, should now take over.
However, Margrethe has dismissed retirement, saying she still feels committed to her royal duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj