Darfur rebels confirm death of their leader
Khartoum: Sudan`s Army killed a key rebel leader and 30 of his Darfur-based troops in a battle which was still continuing Sunday, officials said, after rebels announced an advance towards the capital.
Khalil Ibrahim, 54, who led the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), was wounded on Thursday evening in a clash with government forces in Umm-Gozain, an area of North Kordofan state near North Darfur, army spokesman Sawarmi
Khaled Saad told reporters.
"He died on Saturday evening" and was buried shortly afterwards, he said.
"In the clashes on Thursday, 30 of his troops were killed and a number of them were injured," Saad added. "We destroyed 12 Land Cruisers, four trucks and a tanker of oil."
The battle was continuing today, Information Minister Abdullah Ali Massar said at the same news conference, where officials refused to answer questions.
"The fighting is still going on in North Kordofan and North Darfur," Massar said.
Ibrahim`s JEM was once the most heavily armed group in the Darfur region, although its recent strength remains unclear.
JEM said it would issue a statement later today.
Asked about the reported killing, a source close to the group said: "I`m pretty sure it`s true."
Ibrahim`s wife and daughter tried to hold a mourning ceremony at their home in south Khartoum but police forbade it, a witness told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened