Darfur war over, claims Sudan`s Prez
Khartoum: "The war in Darfur is over," Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir said on Wednesday in a speech in the war-torn region, adding that 57 members of a key rebel group, 50 on death row, had been freed.
Speaking in El-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state, Bashir made the announcement a day after his government and the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) signed a ceasefire and agreed to work towards a full peace agreement.
"The crisis in Darfur is finished; the war in Darfur is over. Darfur is now at peace," he said of the seven-year conflict that devastated the region.
"The combat of arms is over, and the one of development now begins," added Bashir, the subject of an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes in Darfur.
"We need to make more efforts to develop Sudan and Darfur," he said.
The prisoners freed on Wednesday represented half of JEM`s members in jail, Justice Minister AbdelBasit Sabdarat said outside Kober prison on the outskirts of Khartoum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA